Senior Counsel Transactional Law
Encoded Therapeutics Inc. is a biotechnology company advancing precision medicines for a broad range of genetic disorders. Our mission is to unlock new opportunities for viral gene therapy through genomics-driven discovery. We focus on delivering life-changing advances for individuals with genetic disorders not addressable with current approaches. For more information, please visit www.Encoded.com.
Reporting to the Director of Transactional Law, Encoded is seeking a talented and experienced attorney with 3 – 5+ years of experience in drafting and negotiating a broad range of contracts to join its growing legal team of seven professionals. The Senior Counsel Transactional Law individual will work closely with the Director of Transactional Law, as well as Encoded’s business clients, to manage the transactions and contracts function, with responsibility for a wide range of agreements, templates, and systems. The individual thrives in a high-volume, fast-paced, high-performing and collaborative corporate environment.
- Draft, negotiate, and manage a wide variety of contracts, including master services agreements (for vendors, contract manufacturing organizations, contract research organizations, etc.), consulting agreements, manufacturing agreements, confidentiality agreements, material transfer agreements, quality agreements, clinical trial agreements, licensing agreements, SaaS agreements, collaboration agreements, data sharing agreements, etc. covering all stages of a product’s life cycle including research and development.
- Meet regularly with internal stakeholders to understand business needs and ensure contracts align with those needs.
- Provide training and guidance to internal stakeholders, as well legal team members, on general contract concepts and interpretation (IP ownership, confidentiality, data privacy, liability, publication) and translate complex legal issues into practical business advice.
- Exchange contract drafts and negotiate terms with counterparties and opposing counsel.
- Assist with the development of policies and procedures, including creating and updating contract templates and playbooks.
- Manage and work with external counsel, as needed.
- Support business development and partnership activities.
- JD degree and member in good standing with any State Bar (California preferred).
- 3 – 5+ years of transactional legal experience, at an in-house biotech/pharmaceutical legal department and/or law firm supporting biotech/pharmaceutical clients.
- Must have excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to be resourceful, work independently and collaboratively among cross-functional teams with minimal level of supervision.
- Ability to work efficiently, prioritize workflow, meet deadlines and balance competing priorities to urgent situations and demanding clients.
- Ability to grasp scientific and technical concepts quickly.
- Solid grasp of contracting concepts and excellent drafting and negotiation skills across a variety of contract types.
- Dedication to quality, reliability, and the highest professional standards on all projects.
- Experience implementing and using procurement and contract management systems.
- Working knowledge of data privacy rules and regulations, including the GDPR, CCPA, and HIPAA.
- Experience advising on and designing compliance programs focused on promoting a culture of compliance.
- Comprehensive benefits package, including competitive employer premium contributions
- Meaningful stock option grants
- PTO, sick time and holiday pay
- Generous Parental Leave program
- Pre-tax medical and dependent care programs
- STD, LTD, Life and AD&D
- Professional development opportunities
- Team-building events
- Fully stocked kitchen
- Purple Tie dry cleaning service
- Fitness center
Encoded is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. Encoded is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Encoded are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, religion or belief, color, national origin, gender, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the location in which we operate. Encoded will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Encoded encourages applicants of all ages.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may call us at +1 650-491-0272.