Process Development Associate, Upstream
Encoded Therapeutics is a company funded by world-class healthcare investors Venrock, Arch Venture Partners, Illumina Ventures, and Matrix Capital Management. At Encoded, we are combining the precision of gene regulation with the versatility of gene therapies to create breakthrough treatments for individuals living with severe genetic diseases. For more information, please visit www.Encoded.com.
We are recruiting a Process Development Associate to join our Upstream Process Development team, to join our efforts to build next-generation technologies for manufacturing gene-therapy vectors. This is a rare opportunity to enter an emerging field, in a company committed to developing first-rate platform capabilities. By enhancing our ability to manufacture AAV-based vectors, our work will directly contribute to enabling gene therapies in broader and more challenging indications. The successful candidate will work across multiple projects, and should expect a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Develop bioreactor-based cell culture processes for manufacturing of AAV-based gene therapy vectors across multiple preclinical programs
- Execute PD experiments in shaken cultures and stirred-tank bioreactors from 2L-250L scale
- Optimize expression and harvest processes for improved consistency, performance, and product quality
- Support scale-up and process transfer to manufacturing groups; including scale down experiments, and authorship of technical documents
- Investigate new and alternative process technologies for potential incorporation into Encoded’s platform
- Plan and prepare for reliable execution of experiments, including maintaining inoculum cultures, ensuring availabilities of reagents, and preparation of equipment
- Coordinate experiment activities within department, including purification and analytical teams
- Maintain complete, contemporaneous, and accurate records of all work performed
- B.S. degree in biochemical engineering, cell biology, biochemistry, or related field and 2-6 years of experience in a process development or MSAT setting
- OR Master’s degree related to bioprocessing, with experience operating mammalian cell culture bioreactors and some industry experience (including internship or co-op)
- Prior experience operating mammalian cell culture bioreactors is required, and impeccable sterile technique is expected. Experience with single-use bioreactors and/or vector production is desired, but not needed
- Ability to design scientifically sound experiments under guidance, to interpret results, and to present findings
- Familiarity with bioreactor control systems and relevant engineering concepts (PID control, kLa, etc.)
- Mathematical ability to perform routine lab operations and data analysis, including some skill with MS Excel. Experience with Spotfire, R, or other data visualization tools is a plus. Knowledge of DoE and JMP or Design Expert is desirable.
- Enthusiasm for collaborative work in a dynamic environment, plus individual accountability in areas of responsibility
- Strong verbal and written skills are required, as well as effective interpersonal and communication abilities
- Comprehensive benefits package, including competitive employer premium contributions
- Meaningful stock option grants
- PTO, sick time and holiday pay
- Generous Parental Leave program
- Pre-tax medical and dependent care programs
- STD, LTD, Life and AD&D
- Professional development opportunities
- Team-building events
- Fully stocked kitchen
- Purple Tie dry cleaning service
- Fitness center
Encoded is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. Encoded is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Encoded are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, religion or belief, color, national origin, gender, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the location in which we operate. Encoded will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Encoded encourages applicants of all ages.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may call us at +1 650-491-0272.