Process Development Associate II/ Senior PD Associate, Upstream
Encoded Therapeutics Inc. is a biotechnology company advancing precision medicines for a broad range of genetic disorders. Our mission is to unlock new opportunities for viral gene therapy through genomics-driven discovery. We focus on delivering life-changing advances for individuals with genetic disorders not addressable with current approaches. For more information, please visit www.Encoded.com.
This is a unique opportunity to work at the intersection of genomics and therapeutics and participate in the development of a diverse therapeutic pipeline driven by a transformative core technology. We are recruiting a Process Development Associate II/ Sr Research Associate to join our Upstream Process Development team. By enhancing our ability to manufacture AAV-based vectors, our work will directly contribute to enabling gene therapies in broader and more challenging indications. The ideal candidate will be driven, adaptable, and should expect a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
Workplace Model: Onsite
- Develop bioreactor-based cell culture processes for manufacturing of AAV-based gene therapy vectors across multiple preclinical programs
- Execute PD experiments in shaken cultures and stirred-tank bioreactors from 2L-50L scale
- Optimize expression and harvest processes for improved consistency, performance, and product quality
- Support scaleup and process transfer to manufacturing groups; including scaledown experiments, and authorship of technical documents
- Investigate new and alternative process technologies for potential incorporation into Encoded’s platform
- Plan and prepare for reliable execution of experiments, including maintaining inoculum cultures, ensuring availabilities of reagents, and preparation of equipment
- Coordinate experiment activities within department, including purification and analytical teams
- Maintain complete, contemporaneous, and accurate records of all work performed
- B.S. degree in biochemical engineering, cell biology, biochemistry, or related field and 3-6 years of experience in a process development or MSAT setting
- Prior experience operating mammalian cell culture bioreactors is required, and impeccable sterile technique is expected. Experience with single-use bioreactors and/or vector production is desired, but not needed
- Ability to design scientifically sound experiments under guidance, to interpret results, and to present findings
- Familiarity with bioreactor control systems and relevant engineering concepts (PID control, kLa, etc.)
- Mathematical ability to perform routine lab operations and data analysis, including some skill with MS Excel. Experience with Spotfire, R, GraphPad Prism, or other data visualization tools is a plus. Knowledge of DoE and JMP or DesignExpert is desirable.
- Enthusiasm for collaborative work in a dynamic environment, plus individual accountability in areas of responsibility
- Strong verbal and written skills are required, as well as effective interpersonal and communication abilities
The anticipated salary range for candidates who will work in California is $96,600 – $99,600. The final salary offered to a successful candidate will be dependent on several factors that may include but are not limited to the type and length of experience within the job, type, and length of experience within the industry, education, etc. Encoded Therapeutics is a multi-state employer and this salary range may not reflect positions that work in other states.
A hired applicant may be eligible for an annual bonus as well as equity under the company’s stock plan.
- Comprehensive benefits package, including competitive employer premium contributions
- Meaningful stock option grants
- PTO, sick time, and holiday pay
- Generous Parental Leave program
- Pre-tax medical and dependent care programs
- STD, LTD, Life and AD&D
- Professional development opportunities
- Team-building events
- Fully stocked kitchen
- Purple Tie dry cleaning service
- Fitness center
Employees (and their families) may obtain medical, dental, vision and basic life insurance benefits through the company and enroll in our company’s 401k plan. Employees will also accrue vacation time off and paid sick time off and may become eligible for paid parental leave. Employees will also enjoy designated paid holidays throughout the calendar year.
Encoded is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. Encoded is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Encoded are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, religion or belief, color, national origin, gender, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the location in which we operate. Encoded will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Encoded encourages applicants of all ages.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may call us at +1 650-491-0272.