Director of Transactional Law
Encoded Therapeutics Inc. is a biotechnology company advancing precision medicines for a broad range of genetic disorders. Our mission is to unlock new opportunities for viral gene therapy through genomics-driven discovery. We focus on delivering life-changing advances for individuals with genetic disorders not addressable with current approaches. For more information, please visit www.Encoded.com.
Reporting to the Head of Legal, Encoded is seeking a talented and experienced attorney with 7-10+ years of experience in drafting and negotiating a broad range of contracts to join its growing legal team of six professionals. The Director of Transactional Law individual will work closely with the Head of Legal and will manage a small team of contracts professionals. This individual will also work closely with Encoded’s business clients, to manage the transactions and contract’s function, with responsibility for a wide range of agreements, templates, and systems. The individual thrives in a high-volume, fast-paced, high-performing and collaborative corporate environment.
- Draft, negotiate, and manage a wide variety of contracts including master services agreements (for vendors, contract manufacturing organizations, contract research organizations, etc.), consulting agreements, manufacturing agreements, confidentiality agreements, material transfer agreements, quality agreements, clinical trial agreements, licensing agreements, SaaS agreements, collaboration agreements, data sharing agreements, etc., covering all stages of a product’s life cycle including research and development.
- Manage the contracts legal team including coordinating work assignments and workload across the team, mentoring and training junior members of the team to promote professional development and continued engagement, supervise daily execution of contracts legal team function.
- Effectively represent the legal team in cross-functional meetings and projects impacting the contracts legal team function.
- Own responsibility for development of policies and procedures, including creating and updating contract templates and playbooks.
- Supervise trainings to multiple audiences on the contract legal team’s processes and workflows.
- Meet regularly with internal stakeholders to understand business needs and ensure contracts align with those needs.
- Provide training and guidance to internal stakeholders on general contract concepts and interpretation (IP ownership, confidentiality, data privacy, liability, publication) and translate complex legal issues into practical business advice.
- Exchange contract drafts and negotiate terms with counterparties and opposing counsel.
- Manage and work with external counsel, as needed.
- Support business development and partnership activities, as needed.
- JD degree and member in good standing of any State Bar.
- 7 – 10+ years of transactional legal experience, at an in-house biotech/pharmaceutical legal department and/or law firm supporting biotech/pharmaceutical clients.
- In depth experience supporting a clinical operations team in a clinical development stage company, including experience working with CROs, negotiating clinical trial agreements in the US, Europe and other foreign jurisdictions, negotiating ICFs, DPAs, and standard contractual clauses, and working with European counsel on GDPR issues.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Able to clearly present complex issues to business partners and make practical problem-solving recommendations for management to consider.
- Demonstrated, effective people-management skills, including providing constructive feedback, holding team members accountable and driving for operational excellence.
- Strong time management skills in a fast-paced environment and ability to nimbly respond to shifting priorities.
- Application of sound business acumen and good judgment, with a business enabling mindset.
- Must exercise discretion and ability to properly handle confidential and sensitive information.
- Ability to be resourceful, work independently and collaboratively among cross-functional teams with minimal level of supervision.
- Ability to work efficiently, prioritize workflow, meet deadlines and balance competing priorities to urgent situations and demanding clients.
- Ability to grasp scientific and technical concepts quickly.
- Solid grasp of contracting concepts and excellent drafting and negotiation skills across a variety of contract types.
- Dedication to quality, reliability, and the highest professional standards on all projects.
- Experience implementing and using procurement and contract management systems, Coupa is preferred.
- Working knowledge of data privacy rules and regulations, including the GDPR, CCPA, and HIPAA.
- Experience advising on and designing compliance programs focused on promoting a culture of compliance.
- Comprehensive benefits package, including competitive employer premium contributions
- Meaningful stock option grants
- PTO, sick time and holiday pay
- Generous Parental Leave program
- Pre-tax medical and dependent care programs
- STD, LTD, Life and AD&D
- Professional development opportunities
- Team-building events
- Fully stocked kitchen
- Purple Tie dry cleaning service
- Fitness center
Encoded is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. Encoded is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Encoded are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, religion or belief, color, national origin, gender, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the location in which we operate. Encoded will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Encoded encourages applicants of all ages.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may call us at +1 650-491-0272.