Encoded Therapeutics Inc. is a biotechnology company advancing precision medicines for a broad range of genetic disorders. Our mission is to unlock new opportunities for viral gene therapy through genomics-driven discovery. We focus on delivering life-changing advances for individuals with genetic disorders not addressable with current approaches. For more information, please visit www.Encoded.com.
The Assistant Controller will play a key role in the Finance organization ensuring compliance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP), corporate policies, internal controls and external audits.
The candidate will be a hands-on Finance leader with strong operational and technical accounting expertise who thrives in a fast-paced environment with minimal supervision. This person will lead various accounting processes, building and managing a team to scale with the growth of the company.
This is a great opportunity to join a well-funded, world-changing biotech company. This role is based in South San Francisco and reports to the Corporate Controller.
- Full ownership over operational accounting areas: Purchasing and Accounts Payable, Treasury, Tax, Internal Audit and general oversight over the month-end close and financial reporting process
- Prepare monthly and quarterly internal management reporting package, including preparing variance and fluctuation analysis
- Prepare technical accounting memos as needed
- Owner of financial systems and tools with administrator responsibilities
- Identify and implement process improvements, such as, establishing infrastructure and governance, standardizing policies and procedures (in accordance with US GAAP) and optimizing the period-end close cycle
- Drive internal controls compliance efforts, which includes evaluation, development, implementation, execution, and monitoring of controls and systems
- Assist with investor relations and corporate presentations support preparation and delivery of investor and Board of Directors communications and materials
- Establish and maintain strong relationships with key internal and external stakeholders (e.g. auditors, tax consultants) and help troubleshoot finance-related issues
- Coordination of insurance renewals and financial analysis of related renewals
- Other duties as mutually agreed upon
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance. CPA and/or MBA preferred
- 10+ years of financial management experience, with a track record of success with positions of increasingly progressive responsibility
- Big Four public accounting and life science industry experience preferred
- Relevant financial leadership experience, including the building and leading of teams
- Strong knowledge of US GAAP, SEC reporting requirements, and SOX 404 compliance
- Prior experience with ERP systems, Financial Reporting tools and other financial systems implementations preferred
- Prior experience with NetSuite, Coupa, Workiva and FloQast preferred
- Comprehensive benefits package, including competitive employer premium contributions
- Meaningful stock option grants
- PTO, sick time and holiday pay
- Generous Parental Leave program
- Pre-tax medical and dependent care programs
- STD, LTD, Life and AD&D
- Professional development opportunities
- Team-building events
- Fully stocked kitchen
- Purple Tie dry cleaning service
- Fitness center
Encoded is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. Encoded is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Encoded are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, religion or belief, color, national origin, gender, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the location in which we operate. Encoded will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Encoded encourages applicants of all ages.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may call us at +1 650-491-0272.